Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Adjourning in Groups

I have worked with several groups but, I have only reached the adjourning with a handful.  Most recently I was assigned to work with a team of teachers for the last two years. In the beginning we had a difficult time moving through the norming stage but we finally did after almost a years work.  That team was removed from my case load this year and it was/is very difficult for me and other members of the team. Questions about trust with the new coach, effectiveness, and worries about having to start the forming and norming process all over have been revealed.  We had clear norms, built a mutual respect for one another, knew each others strengths, and really understood the goal for our work together.  We met one final time at the end of the school year where I said good-bye's and highlighted some of the goals we had accomplished over the two years.  Many members of the team approached me individually to express thanks and sadness.  This team was important to me on a personal level which is why is has been difficult to adjourn from them.  Adjournment offered closure with the group.  It offered the opportunity to reflect in order to help us grow in future situations. Although I appreciate the advice and food for thought from my Walden colleagues, I will not have a difficult time adjourning from them.  Working with others in this setting is a task to reach the end goal.  With such distance between us that cohesiveness is not authentic, rather forced.

3 comments:

  1. Your post was very relateable. Adjourning isn't a negative thing, I think that it is a step up to something new. And along the journey we have expereinces, powerful experiences that will help lead us and guide us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is difficult to part with groups that you form such bonds with. I always felt that adjourning was sad but it can be a positive experience. It allows you a chance to reflect on the positive and the negative and to use what you have learned as a stepping stone onto the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talibah, I really enjoyed reading your insights on the discussion and blog post throughout this course. I wish you all the best in your future courses at Walden. It has been a pleasure getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete