Thursday, June 28, 2012

International Contact/ Professional Organiation

I was somewhat hesitant in embracing this assignment.  My first thought was that I would have a difficult time connecting with someone who I email out of the blue.  However, I thought about the endless possibilities of being connected to other professionals across the world and how I could greatly benefit from it. I have to be honest… my first rational for choosing professionals to contact were locations that I am interested in visiting.  My next “filter” in deciding who to contact was whether they were male or female.  My reason for contacting females over males was the cultural component of communication between men and women across the world.  I have attempted to contact Mrs. Bimno at the Ajoke International School in Nigeria, and Jane Lim of the Association for Early Childhood Educators in Singapore.  Although I have not received emails back, I am hopeful I will be successful in my attempts to establish a relationship.  It has been one day since my initial email, and if I do not hear back from either Mrs. Bimno or Ms. Lim by next Tuesday (7/3) I will choose the alternative to complete.
            Of the list of organizations posted, I was aware of a few of them both nationally and internationally.  As I scrolled through the list I was immediately attracted to the National Black Child Development Institute and the Association for Childhood Education International.  I was unaware there was an organization, that was dedicated to the development of African American children.  I have decided to select this organization to following because I currently serve and support African American children in my work position, I am an African American who is dedicated to providing the best education and support for my community, and it has an affiliate group close to me.  Although, I will not follow the Association for Childhood Education International for this class, I will add this to my list of sites to check frequently and as possible membership option. 
How are you, my colleagues, feeling about reaching out to other professionals worldwide? Did you have the same hesitations as I did? What is your plan to create a long lasting relationship?
Tip: some of the emails are being bounced back.  There are some professionals that have common email servers (yahoo.com) that I tired that have not bounced back. Check the websites that are linked to the address to make sure they work before you send. 

3 comments:

  1. I also was hesitant at the start of this assignment. It definitely is a step outside of my comfort zone, but all the more reason to succeed. You are right about all the possibilities that opening up this relationship may offer. I look forward to this new step with the support of colleagues like you to walk with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talibah,

    Thank you for your obvious interest in this assignment that is developed to encourage international/global exchange.

    I absolutely agree with your reasoning to follow the NBCDI!

    Thank you for the supportive comments to your colleagues!

    Dr Longo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so interesting how people think so differently from one another! I was so interested in trying to pursue an email relationship with someone in ECE in a different country, I didn't even stop to think whether that person should be male or female. My main goal was to reach as many different people as possible because I am concerned about their busy lives and am thinking people may not get back to me. I was also thinking about the longevity of this relationship and how great it would be to have a mentor from another country.

    ReplyDelete